-1 package beef stew meat. (Original recipe calls for meat with bone but this is much easier and "american" friendly)
-1 spanish onion (quartered)
-1 bag spinach (I love the spinach so sometimes I add 2)
-1 can whole tomatoes
-1/2 - 1 lb. fresh green beans
-1 med-large cubanelle (optional) cut off top and rinse out seeds
-1 package tamarind soup mix ( mama sita's or knorr brand)
-salt/pepper/soy sauce to taste
1. Boil water (amount according to package) to large soup pot. Add beef and quartered onions. Add tamarind soup mix. Salt to taste.
2. Wash green beans and cut off ends. I like to leave them long but sometimes I cut them into 2 inch length.Add to pot.
3. Add can of tomatoes. I like to use a fork and mush them a bit to let the juice out of them. My mom uses fresh tomatoes and crushes them with her hands. I guess it could be a good stress reliever. I just thought the canned ones made it easier. Add pepper.
4. Cook on high until meat is browned. Turn on med and let it sit for 30 mins.
5. Continue to stir and check on meat. At this point I usually add a bit of soy sauce just bc I like it. lol couple tbsp.
6. The longer you cook it the more tender the beef will get. I let it cook a good hour before I add the spinach. Add the spinach to the top of the soup. You don't have to bury it or mix it. As the spinach cooks it will wilt into the rest. Check it after 15 mins or so then stir the remaining unwilted leaves into the pot. Turn the heat to med-low.
7.Eat when ready.